Introductions

Hi, as most of you may already know, I'm Lottie!

this is me! cheesy grin I know.. moving on swiftly...


I'm a pretty strange person to say the least, and if you've met me you'll know I'm quite bubbly, loud and energetic...
and I've been suffering with depression and anxiety for roughly 2 years.
Some may know this, some may not and I'm not here to write about myself and how bad everything may be etc, etc. I'm here to write about depression as a whole, that includes the bad days, the good days, the stigma behind it, and how to fight it.
Now I'm not saying that this whole thing is easy because believe me it isn't, but what is important is knowing you are not alone, knowing that there is help out there and knowing that the first step is talking to someone, nobody can help if they do not know.

I started this blog (incase anyone was wondering) because I am incredibly passionate about mental health and striving for a society where it's accepted and acknowledged the same as any other illness you can name. Mental health affects too many people for it to be treated as if it is not there. Nobody needs a reason to have a mental illness. Would you ask someone why they have a common cold? A chest infection? No, you wouldn't. So why is it acceptable for someone with a mental illness to have to justify why they have one. Answer: It's not.

I was speaking with a friend only the other day about this. Infact we were discussing a post about how high school students shouldn't feel these ways because it's only for 4 yearsthey need to get used to it and high school is but a big drop in the ocean of life.
Neither of us agreed with this as individuals who felt isolated, singled out and were tormented at high school. 4 years is a long time. It's a long time to be bullied with no-one to speak to and with no outlet to express these issues to.
During my time at high school I ended up being separated from my class mates who bullied me, not the other way around and while it worked, surely it should have been the other way around? Why was I isolated and not them?
Following this, I have struggled in workplaces with my anxiety and depression, I cannot read situations the same and I constantly end up feeling alone, isolated and picked on. Whilst this may not be the case, I know no different because my anxiety tells me that people do not like me, that I'm in the way, whilst my depression is telling me to give up, stop bothering, to cut my losses, stay at home and never try again. Employers, schools, family members, even medical professionals sometimes do not understand that some people suffer with illnesses that affect how they may work/feel/react and will treat them as if they will not be affected in these areas. This is wrong. We need to be more open to these issues, talk about them, address them. This is the only way we are going to be able to help each other through them.

I spent a long time avoiding tablets because I told myself I didn't need them, I created a stigma towards myself, please do not do this.
No-one tells you to avoid antibiotics if you have an illness that is affecting your physical health. No-one stops you from taking time off sports if you have a broken leg.
You do not need to "get on with it" because that is not going to help. Talk to someone you feel comfortable sharing these issues with and get help, it's not weak to ask for help, infact that is one of the most courageous things you can do.
Remember that.

I shall stop rambling now and will speak to you again soon!
Please let me know your thoughts!

See you soon!
 Lottie xx


Comments

Popular Posts